Tuesday, April 08, 2008

St. Louis On My Mind

We have arrived!

Actually, we got in last night, around 10:30, grateful to say a quick hi to all and collapse in bed.

This morning, though cool and rainy, we visited the Arch. The security to get in was pretty surprisingly thorough, it was like airport security, except that we didn't have to take our shoes off. Half of us set off the metal detectors! We all enjoyed the ride up the Arch (though the little cars are so tiny, you're squished in), and that incredible view. I got some pretty great pics of us goggling through the tiny windows. The ride back down was fun, fast and bumpy. The museum there was nice, though not quite suited for the little ones. Our oldest niece at least was old enough to appreciate it. Actually, how it worked was this:
RevDad and oldest niece walking s-l-o-w-l-y and reading and discussing EVERYthing. Sis-in-law running after 2 year old. Me running after two 4 year olds. Grandparents sitting on the bench enjoying the show. Gotta love family vacations!

After that we found a restaurant on which we could actually agree - J. Buck's - which had great food, and was very child friendly while still being a very adult space. For the rest of the afternoon, the kids played while the adults hung out, and Sis-in-law and I went shopping. Since I rarely get to go shopping anymore, this was a real treat. I didn't end up finding much, but it was nice to get out, and she and I had a great time together. I don't think we've ever gotten a chance to talk like that!

Tonight Lil'Princess is sleeping with her cousins, so RevDad and I are actually having some alone time...so what are we doing with this rare and precious time???? He's reading, and I'm blogging. We've gotta get a life! But really, it's nice to have some quiet time where we can just peacefully be together in the same space and just enjoy being around each other.

I'm not entirely sure what tomorrow will bring. There are some pretty set plans for Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, but who knows what will truly happen. So we'll wait and see!

Oh, and note to Mom and Mary: remember how I said I was sure I'd have stories to tell?? Oh you betcha!!. Remind me to tell you about the continental breakfast at the hotel, and the mint chocolate candies at J. Buck's. And about Snaz.

No comments: