Tuesday, May 13, 2008

First Thought on Trinity Sunday - Children's Sermon on the Creation Story


The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. In the center, the Creation of Adam

This Sunday is Trinity Sunday. We have an interesting combination of texts. The first lesson is the first chapter of Genesis, and the Gospel lesson is the Great Commission in Matthew 28.

The children's sermon is the only thing I have planned out for sure. Since the first lesson is so long, and isn't even printed in our lessons insert for the bulletin, I'm going to read a version of the creation story to the kids. It's called "In the Beginning", the creation story retold by Steve Turner, illustrations by Jill Newton. It is a wonderful book, with incredible pictures. It's a very accessable and enjoyable way for all ages to experience the story, especially if the reader gives it some umph. I want to spend some time emphasizing the delight and joy of creation.

I'm not sure where I'll go with the sermon yet, or how the children's sermon will connect, but I feel strongly that a creation celebration is in order for at least a portion of message.

No comments: