Friday, July 04, 2008

Friday Five Fireworks Edition

Happy Independence Day! We're spending it at our place with RevDad's parents and two nieces. The kids have played, played, played. Grandpa and grandma brought me hostas (yay!!) so we did some weeding and planting today. We grilled hotdogs and ate on the patio tonight, then watched hubby and our oldest niece light fireworks. All in all, a pretty nice day. Except for me, everyone is too tired to go to one of the big fireworks displays around here, so we'll miss out on the big show. Oh well!!

Today's Friday Five reflects today's holiday.

1. Barbeque's or picnics ( or are they essentially the same thing?)
They are very different!! I'm more used to picnics, which are fun, but barbeques are so so yummy.

2. The park/ the lake/ the beach or staying at home simply being?
I have to pick?!?!?! How about all of the above? This year it's staying at home. If I could do anything I want, I'd go to the lake.

3. Fireworks- love 'em or hate 'em?
Love them, definately. (Well, except for the morter shells, I think that's what they're called. The really loud booms. I hate those!) I love the sparkles, the oohs, the aahs. Some of the best I've seen were at Epcot Center at Disney World.

4. Parades- have you ever taken part- share a memory...
Gotta love 'em! Every year I was in high school, I marched in our local summer parade in the high school band, the last two years as part of the flag corps. Tassle boots, fringed skirts and everything! One year I dropped my flag right in front of the judges stand. Miss Dexterity, that's me! It was HOT and exhausting, but had its fun moments. I enjoy watching them now.

5. Time for a musical interlude- if you could sum up holidays in a piece of music what would it be?
Yesterday at the nursing home service we sang "O Beautiful for Spacious Skies."

No comments: