Monday, June 09, 2008

Yet another VBS Day 1

Here we go again, VBS Version 2.0!

I freaked out for the first half hour, not knowing how this particular church runs things, but after that, everything fell into place. It actually went really well, and we all had a great time! I teach the older kids during the two lesson times, and they were very responsive, and enjoyed themselves. I get to be the crazy Professor Wilma in the daily skit during opening time, so the kids are having a great time teasing me about that. I am also the leader for the song teaching station, which went OK, considering I haven't learned the songs and actions yet. We're going to have a program on Friday, so I need to get my act together and make sure the kids know the songs.

Lil' Princess enjoyed the day. One of the leaders brought her granddaughter, who is about her age, and they bonded immediately. They loved the music, the crafts, and recess. The short movie they watched scared them a little, but otherwise they were happy. This church's VBS runs 9am - 2pm, which gets a bit long for the little ones. She was a little testy by the end, but rallied when we got home.

The VBS we're using is Group's Power Lab, their new resource for 2008. We've had to adapt it, since our group is very small, but the kids are loving it, and all of us leaders are finding it easy and enjoyable to use. The experiments are fun, and the themes capture the kids' imaginations. I especially appreciate that it has age appropriate stuff for ALL the ages we've got, 4 yrs old through 7th grade. Many VBS's don't work for the older kids, they're only geared for the little ones. My bigger kids, 5th grade through 7th, really like it, and made a point of telling me today that they appreciate that we got one that works for their age too.

When I got home, a migraine set in, which didn't surprise me that much. It's a stressful time right now. So I'm letting the TV stay on to keep my girl busy while I ride out the pain. I hate doing that, but sometimes you just gotta go there. RevDad has his VBS this evening, so I'm on my own. At this moment the Wonderpets are on, which I normally find bearable and a bit sweet, but right now it's nauseating. The lesson for this episode is: sharing. They've got some baby sea lions to save, who are having trouble sharing a fish, and they're in danger of falling into the deep water on a dangerously windy day. You really wanted to know that, didn't you?!?!

Tonight, and the next few nights, we host some camp counselors that are helping lead the VBS at RevDad's church. So I'd better make the beds in the guest room, and finish up the cleaning hubby has been working on. Too bad I won't be much of a hostess tonight, but I'll try to make up for it the rest of the time. Come to think of it, they'd probably appreciate just being left alone to relax after the full day. So I won't feel guilty!

No comments: