Friday, June 13, 2008

Beachy Friday Five

At the RevGalBlog we are invited, "in honor of summer, please share your own beachy memories, plans, and dreams with a "Beach Trip" Friday Five."

1. Ocean rocks, lake limps? Vice versa? Or "it's all beautiful in its own way"?
I grew up on a lake, and loved it. Well, I was never fond of lake itch, but other than that, I have wonderful memories of long summer days playing on the beach and in the water, taking swimming lessons, my brothers playing "Jaws" and scaring me, swimming out to the far swimming platform, and jumping off the diving board (I was never brave enough to actually attempt a real dive). It was wonderful! On the other hand, the two experiences I have had of the ocean were awful. In both cases, they were miserably hot, overcast, humid days, and there was nothing beautiful about the beach or the ocean. So I guess I really can't give a fair judgement!

2. Year round beach living: Heaven...or the Other Place?
As a native Minnesotan, I think it is in my DNA to crave a house on a lake. I don't know if I'd want to live there year 'round, I got to do that for a year when I was growing up, and there are definite downsides. But I do dream of walking out a deck in the early morning, cup of tea in my hand, looking over the lake, listening to the sounds of the natural world.

3. Any beach plans for this summer?
In a week and a half, Lil' Princess and I will be at my parents' place for a visit. We look forward to dipping our toes in the lake, fishing with Grandpa, and playing with her cousins on the beach. That will probably be our only beach time, sad to say!

4. Best beach memory ever?
My dad's parents lived on a lake. We grandkids LOVED playing on their dock and in the lake. They didn't have a nice sandy beach, it was all rock, but we just had some of the best times there, probably because we were together as a family, and because they were wonderful grandparents.

5. Fantasy beach trip?
I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. Maybe someday?!?!

Bonus: Share a piece of music/poetry/film/book that expresses something about what the beach means to you.
In the "Ya Ya Sisterhood" series of books, there is a part that talks about what it was like when the girlfriends and their kids spent time at the lake. (I can't remember which book it's in). But the author's description of how relaxed and joyful they were, how their true selves were able to emerge and be comfortable at that place, reminded me of what the lake has been for me.

No comments: