Monday, June 02, 2008

VBS Countdown

Day 1 of VBS is over.

I have survived!

There's four days of VBS this week where I assist teaching 4-6 yr olds, then five days of it at another church next week where I solo teach 4th-7th graders.

In case you were wondering, yes, I have lost my mind.

The challange this week is that the curriculum is geared to a much older group, so we're having to do some MAJOR adapting as the camp counselor I'm assisting and I go along. For example, for one of the Bible studies for today, we were supposed to read the story of the unjust judge and the widow out of the Bible, then discuss the nature of the two different characters, and then how God might be like the widow in the story. I know ADULTS who couldn't handle that conversation, much less 5 year olds! So I was scrambling to come up with stuff, while the counselor freaked out a little. Fortunately, I can think on my feet, and come up with fun stuff for kids, thanks to years of After School Klub at my former parish. (a program which rocks, I miss you kids! I miss you Deb!)

So tonight I'm brainstorming ideas of what to do with them tomorrow. The story we're covering is the parable of the owner of the vineyard, who pays all of his workers the same wage, whether they were hired in the morning, or late in the day. The topic is fairness. There are two Bible study times, the first is 35 minutes long, the second is 45 minutes long. (again, not the best for 4-6 year olds!) I'm trying to come up with some simple games and stories that highlight fairness. I'm pretty worn out, though, so the old gears just aren't moving that well!

No comments: