Saturday, October 04, 2008

Food for Thought

On one of the blog I enjoy checking out - Lutheran Chik - the blogger posted the Incredible Edible Meme. She writes, "This is a list of food and drink that someone -- I forget who -- thinks we all need to taste before we die."

I was intrigued, and read the list. I apparantly am a very sheltered person, because there are alot of things on this list that I don't even know what they are!! Anyway, I've put in bold the items the things that I myself have actually eaten. Consider yourself tagged if you read this! I'd love to hear your comments!

1. Venison. Yum! I grew up eating it, my dad and brothers went hunting every year. Venison sausage and jerky are really good, along with the steaks. I haven't had it in years now, I miss it.
2. Nettle tea.
3. Huevos rancheros.
4. Steak tartare.
5. Crocodile.
6. Black pudding. Ewwwww! No Way!
7. Cheese fondue. What doesn't taste good dipped in warm drippy cheese?
8. Carp.
9. Borscht.
10. Baba ghanoush.
11. Calamari. Good and fun, in a squeeky rubbery kind of way
12. Pho.
13. PB&J sandwich. A staple at our house, especially when it's hubby's turn to cook
14. Aloo gobi. I have no idea...
15. Hot dog from a street cart.
16. Epoisses.
17. Black truffle.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes. Shade Vineyard of Volga SD has some lovely fruit wines definately worth checking out
19. Steamed pork buns.
20. Pistachio ice cream.
21. Heirloom tomatoes.
22. Fresh wild berries.
23. Foie gras.
24. Rice and beans.
25. Brawn, or headcheese.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper.
27. Dulce de leche.
28. Oysters.
29. Baklava.
30. Bagna cauda. Another I have noooo idea....
31. Wasabi peas. Oh yeh, these will wake ya up
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl. Ooh yum.
33. Salted lassi.
34. Sauerkraut. Yes, but can't say I enjoyed it all that much
35. Root beer float.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar. Ick!
37. Clotted cream tea.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O. C'mon! Give me a break!
39. Gumbo.
40. Oxtail.
41. Curried goat.
42. Whole insects.
43. Phaal. ????
44. Goat's milk.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$130 or more.
46. Fugu. Again, ???
47. Chicken tikka masala.
48. Eel.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut. I can feel those arteries clogging
50. Sea urchin.
51. Prickly pear.
52. Umeboshi.
53. Abalone.
54. Paneer.
55. McDonald's Big Mac Meal. Unfortunately, yes. Repeatedly
56. Spaetzle. Awesome, especially when made by someone who really knows what they're doing.
57. Dirty gin martini.
58. Beer above 8% ABV.
59. Poutine.
60. Carob chips.
61. S'mores. Bet your sweet patootey! Can't go camping without them
62. Sweetbreads.
63. Kaolin. ????
64. Currywurst.
65. Durian.
66. Frogs' legs.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake. No, yes, yes, yes.
68. Haggis.
69. Fried plantain.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette.
71. Gazpacho.
72. Caviar and blini.
73. Louche absinthe.
74. Gjetost, or brunost.
75. Roadkill. I don't think so!
76. Baijiu. ???
77. Hostess Fruit Pie. Tried one when I was a kid, and didn't like it.
78. Snail.
79. Lapsang souchong.
80. Bellini.
81. Tom yum.
82. Eggs Benedict.
83. Pocky. Is this an edible hockey puck?
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef.
86. Hare.
87. Goulash. Good hearty stuff.
88. Flowers.
89. Horse.
90. Criollo chocolate.
91. SPAM. My dad's mom would feed this to us sometimes, which was the one meal at her house that I did NOT enjoy
92. Soft shell crab. Not my favorite seafood
93. Rose harissa.
94. Catfish.
95. Mole poblano.
96. Bagel and lox.
97. Lobster Thermidor.
98. Polenta.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.
100. Snake.
Bonus round: Most unusual food you've ever eaten: Thanks to my dad, I've gotten to eat foods that are rather unique for some of my friends, though perhaps not all that unusual - cow tongue, cow heart, fresh fish eggs, bear, moose, raccoon, squirrel, and probably a number of others that I have forgotten.

If you're reading this, you're tagged. Bonus points for the most unusual food not on this list that you've ever eaten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the famous snake wine? I got one on this website and it is quite strong!
http://www.asiansnakewine.com/