Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Uff Da

Well, it's been a quiet week at Lake Woebegone...

NOT!

I think I'm losing my mind. As I look ahead at what I need to do this week, nay even at the hour ahead of me, I might as well hide under my covers and cry "uncle!" If I were given to cursing, this would be the time to bring out some of the big guns. Since I'm not, I'll have to resort to my grandfather's expletives:

when the cows get out - "uff da!"
when the cows get out AND the big storm is coming - "uff da -fee da!"

It's an "uff da - fee da" kind of day.

On the upside, I'm very glad that I've been invited to be a part of the revgalblogpals webring. I've enjoyed reading their blogs for a while now, and it will be a pleasure to be a part of that online community. Plus, mom, you'll maybe have company when you read this blog, now!

Today's big task is getting ready to lead tonight's session of the Advent Bible study. We're covering Matthew 2:1-18, and discussing how Herod's actions point us to an awareness of the intersection of suffering and incarnation. As the study says, "God's method of deliverance, his initiation of salvation does not immediately rid the world of evil. In fact, it makes it more pronounced - God's incarnation heightens the painful reality of this broken world."

We've had some excellent discussions in this challenging Bible study series, and I'm interested to see where this leads us tonight. These folks have been willing to be made uncomfortable and ask some hard questions in this Advent season, which I really appreciate. I'm expecially interested to hear how they'll anwer this one tonight: "The sound of Rachel weeping sharpens our awareness of suffering in the world and runs as an undercurrent to the celebration of Christ's birth. How do we react to her refusal to be comforted? Can situations of suffering be transformed?"

That's a good question for all of us to consider in this season of extremes.

No comments: