Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Five - Mix It Up


From RevGalBlogPals Friday Five:
"In a minor domestic crisis, my food processor, or more precisely the part you use for almost everything for which I use a food processor, picked the eve of the festive season of the year to give up the ghost. A crack in the lid expanded such that a batch of squash soup had to be liberated via that column shaped thing that sticks up on top.

Can you tell this is not my area of strength?

Next week, I'm hosting Thanksgiving. I need your help. Please answer the following kitchen-related questions:"

1) Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Which is to say, do you actually use it?
I have never had a food processor, and have never really felt a need for one. But then, I am what you would call "domestically challenged," so I wouldn't know what to do with it!

2) And if so, do you use the fancy things on it? (Mine came with a mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary disks you used to julienne things (used once).
Don't have one...and would probably be scared to use all those extra pieces if I did!

3) Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand-held varieties?
I have a standing mixer, and two hand held ones. They are my workhorses, when it comes to baking time. As the Christmas holiday approaches, and our open house at the parsonage comes closer, they will all get a workout!

4) How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
I was given a blender by friends of ours about 4 years ago, and encouraged to make yummy drinks with it. Just a week ago, I took it out of the box for the first time. Still haven't used it, but I figure getting it out of the box is progress!

5) Finally, what old-fashioned, non-electric kitchen tool do you enjoy using the most?
My teapot. A bit battered & scorched, and definitely not lovely looking, but it has heated plenty of water for endless cups of tea and hot chocolate ever since I was first married. My mom gave it to me, and told me it would come in handy. And boy has it ever! I use it almost every day in the cooler to cold months.

Bonus: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you ONLY use at Thanksgiving or some other holiday? If so, what is it?
The gravy bowl that my mom forced me to buy. We only ever use it when my family gathers for Christmas at my house, to use to pour the white sauce over the lutefisk (yuck!). It is NEVER used at any other time of the year.

3 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

Ahh, the lutefisk rears it's ugly head!

Unknown said...

I really find the lutefisk frightening. ;-)

Auntie Knickers said...

"Oh lutefisk, oh lutefisk,
How lovely your aroma.
Oh lutefisk, oh lutefisk,
You put me in a coma.
You smell so strong,
You look like glue,
You taste yust like an overshoe...."
I'm so glad I married a Dane and not a Norwegian!