Friday, March 30, 2007

My Britney Spears Friday

A week ago I had what I like to call a "mini nervous breakdown." We'd had a great conversation with the Bishop from W.N.D. on Thursday, we went to bed feeling better...and then I woke up on Friday, FREAKING OUT.

All the normal stresses of life, plus upcoming Holy Week , plus upcoming Middle School retreat on sexuality, plus all of us a little sick, plus having to get my mobility paperwork done and sent in before Easter, plus the crashing reality of the impending interviews and big move and saying goodbye and fixing up the house and selling the house, and, and, and...

So, I lost it. Couldn't stop crying. Couldn't face any of it. Freaked my hubby out. So how did I deal with it? I had a "Britney Spears" day. Remember how about a month ago, Britney Spears couldn't handle things anymore, so she got two new tattoos, shaved her head, and entered rehab? I had the midwestern Scandinavian Lutheran version of that. I walked into the office, announced to my secretary that I was having a nervous breakdown, and that I would not be working that day. I took my daughter to the zoo in S.F. for the morning, splurged on lunch at the Olive Garden, and then took both of us to get haircuts. She got a trim, and I got 3 inches hacked off. Then I went home, gave my husband a kiss, and went to bed.

Now, a week later, I can say things are better. All the women in my congregation LOVE my haircut. My fellow pastor is picking up some of the heavy-duty Holy Week planning. I actually asked for help (!) from some congregation members, and bless their hearts, they're stepping up to take responsibility for Easter Breakfast and the Children's Easter Morning Activities and Egg Hunt. There's still plenty hanging over my head, and I still get stressed out at some point most days, but I'm doing better.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: