Friday, January 09, 2009

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five: Pancakes


It has been a while since I did a Friday Five, but this one has inspired me (or I should say my stomach, really!). After a week of eating Mickey Mouse shaped waffles for breakfast, now it's time to consider all things pancake:

1. Scratch or mix? Buttermilk or plain?
I have never tried to make them from scratch, though my Grandma's were lovely. My mom and I both use a mix, and prefer Krusteaz. I'm partial to buttermilk, but plain is fine too. I'm an equal opportunity pancake-er!

2. Pure and simple, or with additions cooked in?
My hubby is the real pancake maker in the family, and he enjoys trying different additions to the mix. I really enjoy his cinnimon vanilla pancakes (just a touch of flavor - yum!). When we were first married, he'd make me blue pancakes, before he realized you shouldn't mix the blueberries in that hard. I remember them fondly! I like fruit in or on mine, or just plain. Equal opportunity, remember?

3. For breakfast or for dinner?
Whenever we can get them! Our tradition is brunch on Saturday.

4. Preferred syrup or other topping? How about the best side dish?
OK, now this is the serious stuff. I grew up with a dad who made maple syrup. Tapping the trees, boiling gallons of sap to make a tiny bit of syrup, the whole nine yards. I have tromped through knee high snow to check sap buckets. I have stirred boiling sap for what seemed like forever. All for that precious little bit of liquid gold. So NOTHING compares to the real thing!!!!

Of course, now I have Aunt Jemima in my fridge, but it just makes me wistful. and just isn't quite good enough. Other than real maple syrup, I like fruit, or fruit syrups on my pancakes too. We had some huckleberry syrup that was fabulous.

The best side dish is, of course. sausage links (NOT patties) which you can dunk in the maple syrup before you each them.


5. Favorite pancake restaurant?
I don't really have one. I've never had fabulous pancakes anywhere at a restaurant. I ate at IHOP once, and they were pretty good. The ones at Perkins are good. But nothing that screams "I'm the awesomist!"

Bonus: Any tasty recipes out there, for pancakes or other special breakfast dishes? Bring 'em on!
Sorry, can't help you there.

1 comment:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

That is so cool that you have made maple syrup--I just know about it from Little House books!