Wednesday, February 07, 2007

All We Need Is...Stuff?!?!

I have too much stuff. Like many, I suffer from stuff-itus. It is spilling out of every drawer, corner and closet in my house and office. How does this happen? When I first got married and moved into a tiny apartment, we had barely enough stuff to fill the place. Now that I have a house five times as big, I can't find room for all the stuff!

Now I know that this is not a new complaint. George Carlin a number of years ago actually did a very funny monologue on this very issue. There are books you can buy that tell you how to un-stuff your life. (Which I find amusing, because then you just have another book to find room for!)

More recently, though, I have felt like I am drowning in stuff. My husband and I keep talking about how we need to sort through everything, but it's one of the last projects we really want to tackle. Why do we allow our spirits, our spaces, our minds, our lives become so over-stuffed with junk? Why is it so important to us to own stuff? What are we teaching our kids? What are we doing to the world?

It's so hard to not be a consumer-driven family. It's hard to be counter-cultural. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be. We need to start somewhere. Tag, you're it!

No comments: